Feb 20, 2012

Book Blogger Confessions (4)



This is a shiny, new blogger meme co-hosted by Tiger from Tiger's All Consuming Books and Karen at For What It's Worth Reviews. It's time to open up and share (and vent) about our blogging experiences!

The question is:

February 20th: Social networking with authors: Do you interact on Twitter/Facebook/etc with authors? Does it affect how you review their work or do you look at their books differently because you're on friendly terms with them?

As far as my blog goes, I'm a Twitter girl, and even that is sketchy at best. I set up a Facebook page for my blog, but that's it. I rarely ever Facebook, so I figure there's no point. I like the simplicity of Twitter.

I follow a hundred or so of my favorite authors, or authors I have reviewed, and occasionally "chat" with them. I think it does alter my perception of their book. For example, I got friendly with an author on Twitter, who is an absoulte doll. Seriously, a huge sweetheart. I chatted with her frequently before I read her book, and then when I read the book, I was actually pretty disappointed. I felt like I forced myself to write a really positive review because I didn't want to hurt her feelings. My review was more glowing than it should have been, but I learned my lesson. Now I wait until after I read a book to casually chat up an author.

I love authors. I think 99% of them are freaking awesome people I would love to hang out with, see a movie with, grab a burger with, etc. Unfortunately because of the situation I'm currently in as a blogger/reviewers, I feel I need to maintain a level of distance because otherwise my objectivity comes into question.

3 comments:

  1. I definitely know what you mean. I was seriously worried about disliking INCARNATE because I chat with Jodi all the time, and I was really relieved when I ended up enjoying it! But still, I think it's important to maintain that anonymity until after reading the book. Either way, authors are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you shared that experience. It's a tough line to walk. Before social media I think we just wrote fan mail & never heard from the author.
    We have such easy access through Twitter and all the various conventions now. I think it's awkward for everyone including authors which is why we see all these dustups.
    I hope we can all find a happy medium and do what works for each of us as long as we can stay honest to our followers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You bring up a good point with the necessity of maintaining a certain distance with authors as a reviewer/blogger. Well said and great post!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!