Oct 23, 2012

Review: Rift by Andrea Cremer


Title: Rift
Author: Andrea Cremer
Publisher:  Philomel
Publication Date: 8.7.2012
Pages: 448
Genre: Paranormal, Historical
Series: Yes (Nightshade Prequel #1)
Source: ARC from BEA

Rating: A

Summary (from Goodreads):
Sixteen-year-old Ember Morrow is promised to a group called Conatus after one of their healers saves her mother's life. Once she arrives, Ember finds joy in wielding swords, learning magic, and fighting the encroaching darkness loose in the world. She also finds herself falling in love with her mentor, the dashing, brooding, and powerful Barrow Hess. When the knights realize Eira, one of their leaders, is dabbling in dark magic, Ember and Barrow must choose whether to follow Eira into the nether realm or to pledge their lives to destroying her and her kind.

Review:
I don’t think there was an Andrea Cremer fan out there that wasn’t a bit nervous about Rift. There was a very divided fanbase in her first series, Nightshade, and I was one of those rabid-fans who felt sorely let down and shafted at the conclusion of the series. To say I was apprehensive about a prequel series is putting it mildly.

Apprehensive, but also really excited because Cremer is a total genius when it comes to world-building. The idea of going back and learning the origins of the Nightshade world is brilliant. There is so much story potential there!

The first thing I love is that there isn’t a love triangle here. It’s Ember and Barrow all the way. Not only did I not have to contend with a triangle, but Cremer does one better and takes her time with this romance. There is no lightening-strike attraction that propels them into each other’s arms. Barrow is actually pretty apprehensive, especially because of their age difference, and that made their love all the more real. The focus was 65% plot and 35% romance, and I loved that ratio.

This story has a more historical setting (think horses instead of cars), which adds to the mystique and allure. The world feels utterly magical and enchanted. There’s action scene upon action scene to keep your attention riveted.

I think I am going to enjoy this series more than I enjoyed Nightshade. There’s just so much more attention to detail and I feel like the pacing is much more deliberate and calculating. It heightens the drama and mystery rather than stalling it. The characters in this one are already ones I can wait to spend more time with.

If you’re still a raving Cremer fan, then I’m sure you spent the majority of this review nodding along and don’t need to be told twice to read this. If you were holding any grudges against Cremer for what happened before, get over it. This is one series you won’t want to miss out on.

10 comments:

  1. I with you about Rift, Hannah. I enjoyed the Nightshade series immensely but it was not as satisfying as Rift. Nightshade was a good introduction to an exciting writer. She creates fascinating worlds for her readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually haven't read the Nightshade books yet, but I read this one off of a friend's recommendation, and I really enjoyed it. Absolutely loved the romance element, and the fact that I enjoyed the other parts too. Every aspect was well developed, I thought. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE Andrea Cremer and all the first series, even the last one.

    I'm so happy you really enjoyed it and that we see the origins of all the groups we loved:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really grateful to found your blog, i already interest with this because the cover, and i read that you enjoy the story, i will input it on my list

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Not only did I not have to contend with a triangle, but Cremer does one better and takes her time with this romance."

    YES! My thoughts exactly Hannah! I actually didn't make it all the way through the Nightshade trilogy because of the romance, but I picked this one up and LOVED it. Loved Ember. Loved Barrow. Need RISE immediately:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved Nightshade so I'm pretty excited to get started on this one. I'm glad there won't be any love triangle this time. Thanks for the lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the Nighshade books! Really looking forward to this series!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just can`t wait to read this book :d It sounds so interesting

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review! The book sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!