Oct 9, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday (8)


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!
 
Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun!

This week is a freebie, so I picked...

Top 10 Books That Broke My Heart


1. Bridge to Tarabithia by Katherine Paterson: This was the first book I can ever remember made me actually cry. I can still vivdly recall being a kid (like 9 or so), and being so moved by a major character's death. Smashed my little heart to pieces.

2. Don't Die My Love by Lurlene McDaniel: Pretty much any Lurlene McDaniel will make you cry, but this was the heart-breaker for me. This was also the first book I remember shoving into my friends' hands so they could read it, too.

3. Want To Go Private? by Sarah Darer Littman: I cannot urge people (especially those with teen and tweens in their life) to read this. There are so many kids who get swept up in the online world and make such terrible choices that have disastrous, real-life consequences.

4. My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick: This was one of my favorite reads in 2012. By the end, I felt so emphatically for these characters, I bawled my way through the last 5 chapters or so.

5. But I Love Him by Amanda Grace: The heart-breaking story of a girl who gets caught up in an abusive relationship, and how easily it is to get seduced by a dream that turns into a nightmare.

6. Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty: Book #1 in the Jessica Darling series. The end of this book has one of the most gut-wrenching break up scenes I've ever read. I can still recall how it plays out word-for-word.

7. Until I Die by Amy Plum: Book #2 in The Revenants series. The end just KILLED me.

8. Bloodrose by Andrea Cremer: I'm a huge Ren fan. Does that explain it for you all? Sigh.

9. Defiance by C.J. Redwine: Rachel is one of those characters I just felt an instant kinship to, and this girl spent the majority of the book in heartache, thus making me hurt for her as well. She had this strength that just made things more tragic.

10.Speechless by Hannah Harrington: I read this book and was just completely overwhelmed. I forgot how cruel kids could be just because, and it's all the more stirring because it's so true and so current.

5 comments:

  1. Great list. I've only ever seen the movie Bridge to Terabithia and haven't read any of the other books, but I like how you wrote down why it broke your heart. They all sound like wonderful heart wrenching books. =) thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Sloppy Firsts I found that so heart wrenching as well! Also, Great topic choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES, yes, yes to MY LIFE NEXT DOOR, SLOPPY FIRSTS, DEFIANCE, and BLOODROSE! I think my exact words whenever I read BLOODROSE was "WHAT?!". Awesome list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list! I'm awful with sad books! I've avoided Terabithia and Lurlene McDaniel in general for that reason!
    My Life Next Door is my TBR so fingers crossed I don't end up in tears :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, Defiance. That scene in the wagon got to you, didn't it?

    My TTT: http://shelversanon.blogspot.com/2012/10/top-10-tuesday-rewind-top-ten-bookish.html

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!