Nov 19, 2012

Book Blogger Confessions (10)




This is a shiny, new blogger meme hosted by Karen at For What It's Worth Reviews. It's time to open up and share (and vent) about our blogging experiences!

The question is:
November 19: 
Giving thanks: Is there a book that you are thankful you have read?  Maybe it has changed your life in a small or even a large way, or made you see things in a different perspective.

I think the book that comes to mind most is Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles. Before this book, my knowledge of the YA genre was Sweet Valley High and Fear Street with the occasional Christopher Pike or Caroline B. Cooney book thrown in.

I had accepted the YA genre was a thing of my past and figured it was time to move onto adult novels since I was (chronologically) an adult. I was wandering through Barnes & Noble and saw the cover to Perfect Chemistry  and I remember my jaw dropping. I couldn't figure out how something that steamy made it onto the cover of a young adult/teen novel.

I grabbed it and read it in a day and was blown away. I remembered when I was a teen a couple would kiss and that was it. It was very chaste, very brief ... This book had sex. And drugs. And violence. And I liked it.

Simone Elkeles totally upset my idea of the young adult novel. If I hadn't stumbled across that book, I don't think this blog would even be here. Reading Perfect Chemistry made me see YA books in a whole new light and spawned this reading obsession that has culminated into nearly 2 years of blogging and reviewing.

5 comments:

  1. Love it! Perfect Chemistry blew me away too.

    It took the typical cliche bad boy/good girl trope and made it fresh and compelling....and yes - HOT. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that book too. It was hot and perfect LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does look really steamy and I had the same shocked reaction! I have not read it yet though! I might join this meme, it looks really interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo yes, I loved this book! Definitely steamy and delicious and I devoured it in mere hours:) Have you seen the new cover for Dare to You (Katie McGarry)? It made me think of these books because it is quite sexy as well. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this book, love the bad boy thing he got going on...hot, hot, hot!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!