Nov 5, 2012

Book Blogger Confessions (9)



This is a shiny, new blogger meme hosted by Karen at For What It's Worth Reviews. It's time to open up and share (and vent) about our blogging experiences!

The question is:

November 5: Should bloggers & authors discuss politics? Does that turn you off to a blogger or an authors books if they tweet/post about their political positions or do you appreciate their passionate point of view?

Absolutely ... but only in the right forum. 

If I go to a reviewer's blog, odds are I'm going there for a specific reason (to check out some good book recs, etc.). I'm not going there to be innundated with political or religious views. The exception to this rule would be if the blog is a bloggers personal blog where they talk about their kids, their dog, their job, boss, and everything else under the sun.

Same goes with an authors. If their blog/website is solely devoted to their book(s) and writing career, I think it's pretty presumptuous to start throwing in moral/religious/political/etc. views. If they have a personal site or blog they want to vent or share on, then good for them.

Twitter and Facebook are somewhat gray because some people have twitter and/or Facebook accounts solely for their blog, and others have ones that overlap with their personal lives.

I'll leave it like this: On this blog I will only discuss books and book-related issues/promotions. If you're interested in my personal views, email me or check out my livejournal account.

4 comments:

  1. I pretty much agree with you. But I will be honest, if I'm reading a BOOK blog and I see all of their personal opinions on politics, I'm probably not going to visit that blog again. Turn off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. totally agree with you with going to a book blog for book reviews and its political. Yes thats why I hardly post anything personal /poltical on the blog because its not the forum. I dislike facebook right now with all of this stuff :( I let the authors do what ever but I only judge thier books

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, yes...Facebook...I have found out more about people from that social media site than I ever cared to know. Personally, I never talk about politics unless specifically asked. Also, I prefer to discuss books!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree - a book review blog should remain just that.

    Authors - I don't mind if they have a blog to talk about other things but not their website. That should be just books.

    Twitter/FB is tough because you're a person with opinions, not just a book blogger but you shouldn't get carried away with it. An occasional tweet is fine but yelling/preaching just turns people off.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!