Jul 25, 2014

Review: The One by Kiera Cass

Title: The One
Author: Kiera Cass
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: 5.6.2014
Pages: 323
Genre: Young Adult, Dystopian, Romance
Series: The selection #3
Source: Finished copy from BEA

Rating: 4 Stars

Summary (from Goodreads):
The highly anticipated third book in Kiera Cass's #1 New York Timesbestselling Selection series, The One will captivate readers who love dystopian YA fiction and fairy tales. The One is perfect for the fans who have followed America's whirlwind romance since it began—and a swoon-worthy read for teens who have devoured Veronica Roth's Divergent, Ally Condie's Matched, or Lauren Oliver's Delirium.

The Selection changed America Singer's life in ways she never could have imagined. Since she entered the competition to become the next princess of IllĂ©a, America has struggled with her feelings for her first love, Aspen—and her growing attraction to Prince Maxon. Now she's made her choice . . . and she's prepared to fight for the future she wants.

Find out who America will choose in The One, the enchanting, beautifully romantic third book in the Selection series!

Review:
I know what you’re thinking: Hannah finished a trilogy?

Yeah. I did. Can I get an “Amen”?

That being said, I’ve really enjoyed this series, and this was a great way to tie everything together. Sort of.

The last in a series is always the hardest review to write, so lemme tell you what to expect in the most non-spoilerish of ways I can.

The Rebellion: You find out what’s really going on with the rebels and why, but (like I said with the other books), the rebellion always feels like an unnecessary plot point just to add more drama to an already dramatic series. But, this does get resolved.

The Choice: Yes, America makes her choice. No, I won’t tell you who it is, but I was surprised by the adult nature of her choice. Impressed, even, if by the end I was more than ready to walk away from America and her waffling ways.

Look, if I can finish this series, then you know it’s gotta be worth it. So read this trilogy by Kiera Cass and let yourself love it.

4 comments:

  1. I thought this was a good ending to the series, too. The second book was frustrating, with all the waffling America does, but I'm happy with the progress she made in this book. Plus, the pretty cover is pretty! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL--I'm terrible about finishing YA series, too. I don't know what it is! I just can't finish! But it's always a good sign when you do, yanno? Good for America for making an adult choice -- those are usually the harder ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't even started this series! I guess I should start before the TV series starts. The covers are gorgeous and if you finished the series then it must be good :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. After I saw the third book in the series came out, I finally read book one. I had that in hardcover. I was shocked by how much I truly enjoyed it. Then I "binge read" books 2 & 3. I also read all of the e novellas. Almost all. I freaking love this series. A couple of times she annoyed me. I thought she was a little too wishy washy, but it worked itself out in the end.
    I am so glad it was not only me who saw her as wishy-washy. There were a couple of times I yelled at the book because of it. I have to say that the covers were absolutely gorgeous. I'm glad it was able to read all of the books one after the other. I do not think I could have waited as long as it takes for the next book in the series to come out. Sometimes it's for ever in between books 1 and 2, etc.
    Did you agree with her choice in the end? There were times I was rooting for one or the other.
    It was a cool series overall.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!