Oct 14, 2014

Review: Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch

Title: Snow Like Ashes
Author: Sara Raasch
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Publication Date: 10.14.2014
Pages: 432
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Series: Snow Like Ashes #1
Source: ARC from BEA

Rating: 5 Stars

Summary (from Goodreads):
A heartbroken girl. A fierce warrior. A hero in the making.

Sixteen years ago the Kingdom of Winter was conquered and its citizens enslaved, leaving them without magic or a monarch. Now, the Winterians’ only hope for freedom is the eight survivors who managed to escape, and who have been waiting for the opportunity to steal back Winter’s magic and rebuild the kingdom ever since.

Orphaned as an infant during Winter’s defeat, Meira has lived her whole life as a refugee, raised by the Winterians’ general, Sir. Training to be a warrior—and desperately in love with her best friend, and future king, Mather — she would do anything to help her kingdom rise to power again.

So when scouts discover the location of the ancient locket that can restore Winter’s magic, Meira decides to go after it herself. Finally, she’s scaling towers, fighting enemy soldiers, and serving her kingdom just as she’s always dreamed she would. But the mission doesn’t go as planned, and Meira soon finds herself thrust into a world of evil magic and dangerous politics – and ultimately comes to realize that her destiny is not, never has been, her own.

Review:
Sara Raasch is AMAZING!!!!! I read the back and was immediately intrigued. Using the seasons was so different that I had to read it. And I'm so glad I did.

Meira immediately captured my attention. She has such a strong will and determination that you feel with her. She wants to be a part of something bigger and tried so hard to please everyone and prove she is worth it. Her struggle with herself and Sir is iconic of a daughter trying to prove she is just as equal as her brother. She pushes herself so much and eventually wins out, just not as she first thought, with a completely unexpected turn of events I never saw it coming.

I think why I loved most was the details in the lands. This story is so descriptive that I didn't need to reference the map in the beginning at all. I loved how she used the season as different regions and how descriptive each location was in accordance with their season. It was all so pretty. Made me want to be there.

The most palpable thing in this book was the struggle. The Winterians were so strong, well trying to be, and all the refugees trying their hardest to free their people and get their kingdom back. All that they went through definitely pull at my heart. She was so descriptive in their pain that it made you really want them to win.

This book was different for me. I loved it. And I can't believe that what happened, happened. I hope there is more. There definitely should be. I would love to have more of Meira and Sir and all of the Winterians.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!